Protein S is a vitamin K-dependent plasma protein
. It is a natural anticoagulant
thus a deficiency can result in
coagulation. Read emedicine
about this condition
This also occurs in the family
with poorer recovery to date.
- results in an increased tendency for intravascular blood clot formation
- occurs in 1 out of 20,000 people
- 50% of people with heterozygous protein S deficiency will experience
venous thromboembolic disease by 27 years of age.
- Recognized as a disease in 1984
- See http://www.protein.org.uk/
for a site specific to this illness.
Original 2001 WebSite as PDF for download